Post 0

27/08/2018


So what's this gonna be, Scooter?


A blog.


The fuck does that mean?


You don't know what blog means?? A collection of poorly worded revelations describing what someone is feeling and doing, told by the person who lived it.


I know what the word blog means. But what about the idea? What does it mean to you?


Well, that depends. This blog should be different. I don't want it to be your average blog.


What does that mean?


I don't know yet. Maybe it's just an ongoing process of questions leading to more questions. I'll say this: as a reader of blogs, I never begin where I'm told to start. As a rule I find myself starting at post 3 or 4, because before that, every blog has the same shape. It starts off with a simple statement about intent: "I've moved to this country, in this year. I'm going to post regularly." But I don't want to start that way. I can't start that way. I won't.

Then, after that, there's a predictable move. The writer doesn't post for four months. Writer's second post talks about playing with orphans or getting malaria and, just like that, bam, it's like they have found the cure for HIV. Their life is changed forever. That's an exciting moment, but it's also predictable and oversimplified, for sure.


So those first posts aren't important?


How can you say what's important in a life, really? Could you sum up a whole Peace Corps service in twenty posts? Or would it take twenty-one? And why is the person who lived the life the only one talking? Could you pass the mic, let someone else talk, and just shut the hell up for a minute and let them call you on your inevitable bullshit? I don't know exactly what would work, but experimenting is more interesting than just telling the story straight through from A to Z.

So I'm gonna post poetry and I'm gonna post prose.
I do all this just to keep you on your toes.
Nobody cares about what I had to eat and drink.
I'll share with you what I really think
is appropriate to share on this online forum,
straight from my leather journal, no special decorum.
So cheers to Namibia, let's raise a toast...
Maybe I should've saved this for the first post.


We're in the first post.


We are?


We're always already in the first post. We've always already been in the first post.



style and structure adapted from Mo' Meta Blues by Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson

Comments