Care & Validate

18/9/18

There's only so much I can do. It sucks.

Also, I met Anthony. Man, he seems like he can go somewhere, if he can get out of here. This is something I will need to be ready for. In the next few years, I am going to meet and get to know a huge number of learners. A majority of them will likely be great humans, but will come and go, very akin to the people you meet waiting for late-night pizza or shopping in the cheap section of the wine aisle. A minority of them I will work closely with in clubs, academic advising, or community projects, gaining an understanding of who they are and, hopefully, sharing who I am in return. An even smaller minority I won't forget. I will become invested in their academic success, growth as a person, personal health, future academic opportunities, professional prospects, and just overall happiness. And for all the power and ability I hold, I will have little to no control as to whether or not these learners have healthy and fruitful lives.

I could give them a world-class eduation, and it wouldn't matter. I can establish an environment where it is okay to make mistakes, but that won't stop the mental and emotional abuse at home. I can spend extra 1-on-1 time practicing unit conversion, but that doesn't put more food on their plate for dinner. I can explain fractions in a way that all in my class understand, but that won't create more job opportunities for when they graduate. I can encourage female learners to become the leaders of tomorrow and run my lessons in a gender equitable manner, but that won't change gender roles in the society around them.

All I can do is care for them. Validate their feelings. Give them everything I can.

The most difficult part of these 2-3 years won't be the food, or limited connectivity, or any health issues that arise. It will be recommitting each day to my learners to help them be the best person they can be, even if they can't be the best.

I feel ready for this, but I'm still not sure if I can be ready for this.

Comments