Trailhead

9/10/18

Surprise!

On Friday, we got to Kukuri for morning announcements of our sites. I legitimately didn't know what to expect, so I kept my eyes shut and just went with it. We all stood together blindfolded and were called one by one to be led by a staff member to our site's location on a giant map of Namibia created in the dirt. I patiently waited as around hal the group was called, then

"Scooter!"

from a familiar voice. I took their hand and we walked. And walked. And walked. It may have been the blindfold, or hearing the people we passed that made it seem like an eternity. Or maybe because even though I couldn't see, I knew exactly where I was going.

When we finally stopped, I was handed a large envelope.

"Don't open this or your eyes. Stay quiet. I'm so excited for your site."

As I stand in my self-imposed blind vigil, I could hear the voices of nearby trainees.

"Man, there's no one over here."

Since the two near me hadn't followed the silence rule, I guessed they had ignored the blindfold too. Local staff walked by and gave their two cents on the town name written on my envelope.

"Let me see. Ooooh man it is going to be hot!!"

Good thing I like dry heat?

"Waar die fok is dat??"

Well that's comforting.

I hear the call to remove my blindfold and look around. I lift the envelope and read

//Kharas Region

Comments