Birthdays

27/12/18

There isn't enough time in a day, week, month, or year.

During this time of the season, it is hard to stop & process,
with people around and food & drink in excess.
This year feels different than ones before
and it is not due to the heat or the day I spent on the shore.
I've really noticed the effect that living alone has taken,
how being surrounded by people and its impact I've forsaken.
I don't think I'll become a hermit any time soon,
but it is a healthy tradition to talk to one person daily before noon.
My birthday is fast approaching, a few days I'll be 24,
for some this holiday makes their hearts soar!
For me it is a gentle reminder my youth is fleeting & the time is now
to take my skills & potential and concentrate them, for how
much longer can I spend trying to find my purpose,
before my skills become dull, and my potential is worthless?
Is two more years in a small town, trying to figure out
how to be a good teacher, what my mid 20's should be about?
My aspirations are devoid of pedagogy in all forms,
my goal while I'm here is to absorb cultural norms.
Each day I think there has to be another way to do this,
a way with less downtime, less opportunities missed.
On my other shoulder sits the promise that I gave,
to the Peace Corps and the people of Aus, that I wouldn't cave.
It would be hard to walk away now, leaving it all behind,
unless I had something else to do already in mind.
I owe to the learners to give all the effort I got,
Focus on the task at hand and not my next career slot.
This may not be the ideal decision, I may regret it some day,
but I've made plenty of poor moves in 24 years, morally this is the right way.

Comments