Proximity

30/11/18

I'm reminded how far it is to anywhere else everyday on my walk to school.
K____________ 211 ->
<- L_______ 122

Everyday.

Half of this experience is a lonely affair for me, but I saw that this isn't really the case for everyone. Not all volunteers are 100+ km from the nearest American. Some are closer to each other than I am to my school. In fact, I'm one of the only volunteers not in the same town as someone else. Part of me yearns to tell others, "Hey, reach out a bit? Extend that olive branch a bit further? Make an effort please, it's different for me."

But they don't know the feeling and I'm not gonna vocalize it. That's. not me. Everyone's service is different and mine is just, really different. Even from those I feel closest with.

So, how do I analyze this though? Different isn't always bad or worse. Part of me feels bad they don't have that very forced integration, something that should hypothetically help me grow and make this experience integral to who I am for the rest of my life. Another part of me laments that lack of opportunity to really grow close with other volunteers, to develop friendships that endure past service, and to feel more comfortable on these weekends together.

It isn't a huge problem. I'm outgoing enough to talk to a tree. In the same vein, it is never fun to be the black sheep. Maybe I'll see this differently with better Afrikaans, more friends in town, and a full teaching load. Maybe I won't. That's the concerning part.

Comments