Noteworthy

18/12/18

My days are really quite bland. Social media hides this.

Expecting myself to write daily, bi-daily, or even weekly, immediately assumes there's something to write about at such a regular interval.

"Every couple of days here, something amazing happens because I'm in a different country and everything is odd and new!"

While the two prior reasons stated are factually accurate descriptions of my current situation four months in, days don't become amazing through a drastic change of scenery. I bet any teenager from America who found himself in Normandy during the 1940's would agree. Additionally, when does life officially stop being "odd" and "new"? Is there an official statute of limitations for those words, and everything becomes just... normal?

Today marks two months since swear-in. Cooking daily with beetroot and cabbage is odd, PB&J for lunches isn't. Living alone is new, doing all the dishes isn't. I've come to appreicate the benefits of writing, but fiction in this particular arena isn't what I'm going for. I'm a lot closer to Emerson's Nature than Homer's Iliad, and even Waldo was known for embellishment! There is something to recording an uneventful life though, especially when the rest of my history to this point has gone unwritten.

Comments