Abuse

12/03/19

I am a role model. I have to do better.


Yelling on a daily basis
at all these young faces.
Faces looking up at me,
is this who I want them to be?

Is this who I really am?
Upon the table a book slams,
constant voices speaking
around me and I’m tweaking.

I have a message for them
they just need to listen.
Look at me with your eyes!
Let me see those pupils glisten!

I arrived here with good in my heart,
but my heart’s going cold.
“Stick with it, don’t give up,”
is all that I’m told.

How am I supposed to feel
when the daily disrespect is so real?

I don’t care about the Afrikaans swears
in between compliments on my hair.
Words tend to lose meaning
when the body language is so demeaning.

I level with them and ask how to be better,
“Clap us sir,” corporal punishment to the letter.

The effects of abuse are real,
it infects and poisons the mind.
I can’t give up on them though
for so many other have left them behind.

I repeat myself,
so I can believe myself.

I won’t leave them behind.

Comments